Re: What databases have taught me

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 00:51:30 GMT

Keith H Duggar wrote:

> Marshall wrote:
>

>>What I *dream* of, though, is a language that will have
>>built-in, both the functional facilities of a languages
>>like SML and the relational algebra, together. Since no
>>one seems to be working on this, I'm toying with it
>>myself.

> Interesting. Since you still use Java have you taken a look
> at Rel?
>
> http://dbappbuilder.sourceforge.net/Rel.html
>
> What are you thoughts on it?

I know you asked Marshall and not me. I didn't understand some of the changes to the language like, for instance, the requirement for BEGIN/END for the WITH statement. A lot of the other additions seemed like syntactic candy that don't add functionality -- just complexity and language redundancy. Received on Fri Jun 23 2006 - 19:51:30 CDT