Re: What databases have taught me

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:35:45 GMT

Andrew McDonagh wrote:
> Bob Badour wrote:
>
> Once again, Bob jumps in yet more dribble laced with smart-arsed
> comments about someone's supposedly limited mind, thereby hiding the
> parts of his post that actually are worthwhile reading...
>
> Mind you, I got so bored looking for them, I gave up......
>

>> What makes you think OO is the right tool for any job?

> What makes you think its not right for any job?

Arguably, it is the right tool for constructing large unpredictable state machines out of small predictable state machines, which is the task for which it was originally invented. However, even for expressing simulations, I have found the relational model and predicate calculus even more effective than OO.

For instance, I recently posted in c.d.t the bulk of a relational solution for simulating simple digital circuits. I have previously created a similar simulation using OO and the relational solution is smaller, clearer and more elegant.

However, I seem to recall my question was directed at someone who scoffed at the idea of using a data management system for managing data, at predicate logic for handling logic, and at knowlegeable data management professionals for allegedly being "die-hard" "preachers".

I suggest the onus lies on those who opt to forego the use of a data management system for managing data to justify their decision. It's certainly not the sort of thing any rational thinking person would accept on the basis of some idiot's off-hand dismissal. Received on Fri Jun 23 2006 - 22:35:45 CEST

Original text of this message