Re: What databases have taught me

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2006 12:53:54 -0700

> As some are pointing out now, OOP designs to not have to be hierarchical. However, outside of hierarchies, OO tends to lose its selling point. It is just a bunch of nodes (objects) with pointers to link them up, a big graph.

I agree. In cases where data is highly structured, representing them with a RMDB provides many advantages. However in cases where data is highly unstructured, representing them with a RMDB can also become more difficult and starts to lose some of its advantages.

> There may not be any other path to betterment besides experimentation.

One result of such experimentation is db for dummies. It has a very general method of representing things. In fact, the same basic method is used to represent lists, tables, trees, graphs, networks, etc and yet are navigable via high-level queries. Would someone be interested in comparing the adv/disadv of RM vs dbd using the example posted at www.dbfordummies.com/example/ex039.asp which models a food judging contest. If that one is too simple, we can extend www.dbfordummies.com/example/ex123.asp which models 10 computer systems, each with different hardware configuration. Received on Fri Jun 23 2006 - 21:53:54 CEST

Original text of this message