Re: What databases have taught me

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:54:08 GMT

Frans Bouma wrote:

> erk wrote:
>

>>Frans Bouma wrote:
>>
>>>[snip]
>>> What I can say is that if you don't realize that <insert tech /
>>>paradigm here> is just a tool to get to the goal you want to
>>>achieve:
>>
>>So technologies and paradigms are the same thing?
>
> Ah, wordgames. You know what I meant.

With all due respect, Frans, do you even know what you said? Do you expect the rest of us to read minds? Isn't it better to say exactly what one means?

>>Presumably a
>>"paradigm" (overloaded++) influences how we think about problems
>>and/or solutions, and is thus much more than just a "technology,"
>>which (I'm assuming) is a means to an existing end. Paradigms,
>>presumably, alter the ends by our understanding of the domains
>>involved.

> 	That's great, I was more referring to the difference between OO and
> procedural software development.

OO is procedural thus there is no difference whatsoever in that respect.

  But I'm not a native english speaker,
> so I might have chosen the wrong word.

Should we ignore the fact that native english speaking OO proponents very often choose the same ambiguous word? Should we ignore the fact that some other non-native english speakers seem to have an advantage over native speakers for using the language precisely? Should we ignore that even your clarification is meaningless?

If you are uncomfortable with your ability to use the language, why would you venture so boldly into the realm of sophistry with it?

Are you suggesting you never intended to dismiss your betters as 'die-hard' 'preachers' ? Are you suggesting you never intended to dismiss JOG's original post as a potential misapplication of something good if only he had not misapplied it?

>>> What I can say is that often people are too blinded by the paradigm
>>>they use. Take for example Object oriented data-access.
>>
>>What, pray tell, is "object oriented data-access"?

> 	Why, on earth, don't you read up about the world outside your _R_DBMS
> before replying? Like oh, OODBMS's ? (yes they do exist)

Why, on earth, don't you read up on the fundamentals of your profession so that you can recognize a fundamentally flawed network model dbms when you see one--even when shrouded in nebulous marketing-speak. Received on Fri Jun 23 2006 - 18:54:08 CEST

Original text of this message