From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:00:06 -0500

On 2006-06-21 14:35:01 -0500, "topmind" <topmind_at_technologist.com> said:

> To a limited extent only. It does not make sense to have a jillion
> different conventions. Unless one convention is largely better than a
> standard, it is best to stick with the standard. Relational is pretty
> flexible for most things (especially if you have a good DB or table
> engine). Thus, I see unsufficient reason to translate back and forth
> between relational and navigational for most custom software. Since
> RDBMS are not going away anytime soon, it makes sense to embrace
> relational than to fight it with thick wrappers and translators.

You and I might disagree on where to set the threshold for that decision, but I agree with the reasoning. For some programs the cost of translating back and forth isn't worth it. (Though it's getting easier all the time).

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com