Re: Example of expression bias?

From: J M Davitt <jdavitt_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:13:41 GMT

Cimode wrote:

> J M Davitt wrote:
>

>>Cimode wrote:

>>>No need to argue on that, operators are indeed a part of a data type
>>>definition. I would personally define *possible* operators applyable
>>>at domain level then define attribute *permissible* operators at data
>>>type level .
>>
>>Then, would you explain why D+D are wrong? And you should probably
>>elaborate on what the "domain level" and the "data type level" are.
>
> Domain level refers to possible value.

*This* is why you think D+D are wrong?

Considering the possibility that you have as much difficulty reading as you do writing, let me recap:
- You said that operators are a part of a data type - I said that D+D said they are not - with the exception of the

   selector and the /THE_/operators.
- You said, "No need to argue...operators are...part of a data type."

Again: why do you feel D+D are wrong?

>>And, while you're at it, explain in which data type definition [sic]
>>an operation like, say, division, defined on integers and returning
>>a rational, belongs?

> Data type definition is independent of output.
> In RM, data type definition concerns exclusively input (IPO speaking)
> because the primary focus of RM data type definition is datum integrity
> 'as a value holder'.

Why do you bring up input and output? What is "IPO?" What does type declaration have to do with integrity? What does "integrity 'as a value holder'" mean?

Are we to understand that the results of operations are typeless?

> operations between randomly defined data types are a much more complex > issue. It's pure ensemblist math. It has not been discussed.

What's random about integers and rationals? How can operations be "much more complex" if their declaration is part of the data type declaration?