Re: Example of expression bias?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 01:20:48 GMT

Tony D wrote:
> I don't have much experience of Common LISP; but it does involve
> objects, which is a bad sign, and many LISP dialects include updateable
> variables, so no, I wouldn't go there. Standard ML would be better, but
> as mentioned in a thread with Marshall it too has side effects and
> updateable variables, and more unfortunately eager evaluation. Haskell
> would be a fine choice for me, Miranda, HOPE or maybe even Lazy ML
> perhaps. But, as I say, it's basically a choice of which syntactic
> sugar you prefer.

just trying to read Backus' ACM speech/paper and notice he uses the word "objects' to try to get his FP stuff off the ground. i think i've seen it used lots of times as a place-holder to make another point. not sure why it's a bad sign, unless you mean wrt mainstream rt. sticking my neck out here, don't want to get plonked or infamy'ed like c'mode.

p Received on Tue Jun 20 2006 - 20:20:48 CDT