From: Robert Martin <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:34:21 -0400

On 2006-06-01 08:47:40 -0400, said:

> So, what is the gain in separating the SQL statements if the they can
> be regarded as constants?

The same gain we have in separating constants. We can name them. We can make subtle changes to them without changing the names. We can eliminate duplication.

Moreover, many of those constants have variable parts. We can hide the syntax of the constants by creating functions that manipulate them and insert the variable parts.

Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email:
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:
The Agile Transition Experts  | web:
800-338-6716                  |