How to Tell if You Are a Crank

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Jun 2006 08:14:50 -0700

x wrote:

> Mommy, what if we are cranks and we don't know it ?

It is an interesting question, isn't it? Unlike trolls, cranks don't know
that they are cranks. The personality disorder of a troll is merely that he is anti-social; the personality disorder of a crank actually reaches the clinical level, involving delusions of grandeur and even paranoia.

So it's not sufficient to say "I don't think I'm a crank, therefore I'm not a crank" because *everyone* thinks that. One has to test against external markers.

One test would be to go in to a newsgroup on a topic one was familiar with. If one is quite shy and doesn't say much, one is probably not a crank. But perhaps one posts a lot. Are one's ideas greeted with a mix of agreement and disagreement? That would be normal. Are one's ideas greeted with universal derision? Does one then hypothesize that all the posters there are in cahoots against you? That would be a sign that one was a crank.

Marshall Received on Tue Jun 20 2006 - 10:14:50 CDT