Re: Example of expression bias?

From: Tony D <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: 19 Jun 2006 16:58:25 -0700

Cimode wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
>
> > Anyone else have any recommendations?
> Yep..How about...could you stop the BS and go to you cranky little
> developper box...and stop poluting com.database.theory with your
> crap...
>
> Programmers have such shaky conceptual fundations that anything they
> basically state is experimental (trial and error). Nothing you can
> rely on...So are their assertions...

Now you've gone way overboard; Marshall was asked a question about where to find out about higher order functions, and gave a couple of references. Now you're accusing him of BS ? For goodness sakes man, get a grip on yourself.

If you really must, the functional languages (of which Haskell, Standard ML, OCAML and some dialects of LISP are the best known) derive their foundations from the lambda calculus. You can wikipedia that for yourself to decide just how shaky that is a conceptual foundation. I expect some sort of acknowledgement of the soundness of the work of Alonzo Church, Stephen Kleene and others in short order, if only to show you bothered yourself to find out. Received on Tue Jun 20 2006 - 01:58:25 CEST

Original text of this message