Re: terminology

From: Pickie <keith.johnson_at_datacom.co.nz>
Date: 18 Jun 2006 19:28:49 -0700

Cimode wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> > [First of all, I assume "r.t." means "relational theory" and "fopl"
> > is "first order predicate logic." Correct me if I guessed wrong.]
> >
> > Certainly there are different contexts in which the term "variable"
> > is used, and across those different contexts there may be
> > incompatible meanings. I was speaking of the programming
> > languages theory ("PLT") context. So I am speaking of regular
> > data variables, rather than logic variables--they are quite
> > different.
> An integer is an integer whether you speak of Math, of PL or
> whatever...
> An arythmetic operation is an arithmetic operation regardless of field
> of application
> RM is pure math applied and what you state is that the application
> redefines the fundamental concepts...
>
> > Thanks for pointing out that distinction.
> >

> > Marshall

Apparently not - in dictionaries, there are two definitions of integer. One is "a positive or negative whole number or zero" while the other is "whole entity". Subtle difference, I know, but just call me picky.

Re a couple of other posts.

Since glass is mostly an oxide of silicon and the water is dihydrogen monoxide - the glass of water may well be mostly oxygen. Or Do I Mean Oxygen?

Sillicium could be a mispronounciation of psyllium; which is the stuff you take, dissolved in a glass of water, to prevent constipation. What can someone take for thread diarrhoea? Received on Mon Jun 19 2006 - 04:28:49 CEST

Original text of this message