Re: Fraud Number 1: MARSHALL

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2006 08:17:54 -0700

Tony D wrote:

> Even if words of
> caution have to be given to make sure he doesn't bolt off on some wild
> goose chase (and I have advised caution to Marshall on other threads,
> because I can see he's about to charge into some very dangerous
> territory, with a broken compass and no map - type systems, for
> example).

Tony,

I've appreciated the advice.

Some minor points:

I don't think what I'm doing could be considered a "charge" in that my progress is far too plodding. And I do have a map, in the form of "Types and Programming Languages" (Pierce), "Type Theory and Functional Programming", (Thompson), "Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming" (Van Roy, Haridi) etc. As to whether I have the capacity to absorb the above, and as to whether my compass/brain is broken or not I think it is an open question. :-) Fortunately, when I have an idea, I can get it checked by other people, who, whether here or elsewhere, are only too happy to tell me when I'm wrong, as happened recently in the thread about handling missing data.

Oh, and wild geese can be fun to chase in their own right.

Anyway, thanks.

Marshall Received on Sun Jun 18 2006 - 17:17:54 CEST

Original text of this message