Re: OT: Troll vs. Crank

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Jun 2006 06:23:10 -0700

Aloha Kakuikanu wrote:
> Keith H Duggar wrote:
> > Just as sunlight kills trolls (in some mythologies), it also
> > helps to deal with cranks. Since you are a reasonable and
> > intelligent person, the group would benefit from you outing
> > cranks. Thus, for a moment please set aside your excess of
> > faith in human nature and your personal kindness. Review the
> > recent characters that lead you to the crank concept. Then
> > post here the identities of those posters you believe are
> > cranks (perhaps with an associated confidence). This would
> > be very beneficial.
>
> The problem is not trolls, cranks, crackpots, and other individuals.
> The problem is that very little content is posted here. How much
> contribution c.d.t enjoys compared to say sigmod record? (non-pier
> reviewed publication btw) I doubt c.d.t is 1/100 of the sigmod value to
> the database community.
>
> As Raghu Ramakrishnan put it nicely in the latest issue, don't belittle
> work (good or bad) of the others. It would take up all your time.
You have pointed out the right issue. Thanks for pointing it out... Close mindedness and focusing too much on people not enough on ideas, too much on belief and not enough on reasonning makes this NG a sterile field of debate for exchanging ideas... Received on Sat Jun 17 2006 - 15:23:10 CEST

Original text of this message