Re: Named Mistakes and Questionable Practices

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 14 Jun 2006 16:41:28 -0700

>> More red herrings. Anybody who asks a DB expert to specify medical or legal requirements is an idiot. <<

It is more like the DB guy should be asking the medical guy about HIPAA, ICD, etc. instead of inventing his own codes and procedures.

>> In fact, many people have realized that they will get two different prescriptions from two doctors since there are as many cookbook practictioners and quacks in that game as in IT. <<

Actually, the variation in prescriptions is relatively small; I did Medicaid/Medicare stats for investigations in a state-wide PSRO program years ago.

The cookbook for common things is the Merck Manual and some on-line databases. This is why other countries have no pharmacy control laws and you can order anything you want yourself (i.e. "life-style" drugs in Japan as the most the industrialized example). You do not go to the doctor; you go to the Internet.

>> As for ZIP codes, if they are a biz requirement then they are a biz requirement, no matter what the SQL guy says. <<

Then I had better get the standards for ZIP codes and use them as USPS, and avoid any "cowboy coding" concerning them.

>> There's a good question about DB matters on this group right now, the thread called "Foreign key problem". Answering it would be more useful than promoting this cookbook stuff. <<

I will see if I can find a known and tested solution for the problem :) Received on Thu Jun 15 2006 - 01:41:28 CEST

Original text of this message