From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:09:27 +0300

"Phlip" <phlipcpp_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:MfUjg.44462$fb2.16739_at_newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...
> x wrote:
>
> >> I use "behavior" to mean "anywhere in C++ that you can put a
breakpoint".
> >> Structure is the places where you can't.

> > I remember I defined breakpoints in a debugger, not in C++.
> > The language standard for C++ defined breakpoints by any chance ?

> Please don't play the news:comp.lang.c++ Standard Game. Don't pretend you
> don't know something about C++ just because it's not in The ISO Standard.

I don't play that game. I have not read that newsgroup, and I learned C++ before it became standardized.

> All known implementations of C++ do not interpret things like 'class' at
> run-time. They get compiled first.

So ? After they get compiled, they are not a 'class'. Machine code doesn't have 'class' .

> > I also remember I can put a breakpoint on a boolean expression that is
not
> > part of the application. Are such boolean expressions behavior ?

> ? Do you mean an expression before main? The initialization of a
> static/global variable?

I mean an expression defined in the debugger, not in the program. I thought I was clear on that 'cause I mentioned debuggers.

> > What do you mean by structure ? "{" and "}" ?
> > The place between the lines ?

> How would you define structure and behavior?

The only way I would define structure is as in "structured programming" and "data structure" - the "pattern" (not the content) of data/instructions. You know - the structure created by : union, struct, [], for - things like that.
Behavior - I don't know. An automaton ?

> > Ah, the runtime path of a program, each place in the source file could
> > have
> > many breakpoints on it.
> > Then structure is image of a program in a file or something like that.
> > Have I guessed it right ?

> What's to guess?

Your "anywhere in C++ that you can put a breakpoint". By anywhere do you mean in the execution flow of a program ? A point in (space, time) at runtime ? Or a point in the source code ?

> We are dealing with concepts that you use all the time (if
> you are indeed a programmer).

Well, that depends on how you define "programmer". :-)

>Naming them for the first time in your career
> might be a little disconcerting...

> And I want to know how someone could possibly write a book about OO that
> doesn't mention "behavior". Objects aren't very useful without it...

Some says object are ideed not useful with or without it.  I view objects as automata. I don't need "behavior" whatever that means. Please define it for me. It should be simpler for you than for me. Received on Wed Jun 14 2006 - 09:09:27 CDT