Re: Is SQL procedural or non-procedural?

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 05:55:18 GMT

"Paul" <paul_at_see.my.sig.com> wrote in message news:hc4u82ta9201vlt0g05gh27tq6qe02c2t9_at_4ax.com...

> I'm talking about the Oracle one. Rdb/VMS - isn't that related to
> Interbase precursors?

If you'll go back and look at my post that you first responded to, and reread it, I think you'll see that I was NOT talking about the Oracle CBO at that point. What I said was,

"By contrast, some other products had cost based optimization, and the programmers could focus on what data they wanted, instead of how to access it."

Note the "some other products."

If your point is that the Oracle CBO still has a ways to go, I won't argue that point with you.

But my point, was, and is, that some other products had an optimizer that had the effect that I indicated on programmer focus. Your comment about "how wrong I was" applies to the Oracle CBO, and not necessarily to the CBO's of other products. We've been talking past each other. Received on Wed Jun 14 2006 - 00:55:18 CDT