From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:01:00 -0400

Robert Martin wrote:

>> Declarative integrity constraints are better than manually
>> written procedural code for the reasons I list below,
>> and others.

> No argument. They are better. They just don't cover all the
> contingencies. Specfically they aren't in effect when the data is
> being actively manipulated in RAM by an application.

Constraints by definition have nothing to do with the data before it is submitted to the server for management or after it is sent out to an application for use. Constraints prevent invalid data from being committed, allowing the confident retrieval of valid data. If the application creates invalid data before committing it, it won't get in, and if it invalidates data after retrieval then you've got a QA issue, not an architecture issue.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.