From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: 13 Jun 2006 11:32:07 -0700

Marshall wrote:
> "ad hominem": You use that word a lot; I do not think it
> means what you think it means.

He did misuse the term multiple times (as many others have and continue to do). However, I thoroughly explained the correct usage twice now in this very thread (as well as a few other less thorough explanations). So perhaps he knows how to use the term correctly now. Though he nor anyone else was kind enough to acknowledge comprehension of my points or offer any, perish the thought, thanks for the explanations.

> Generalizing from qualities about a person to qualities
> about a statement of theirs is.

That is possibly non sequitur but not ad hominem.

> I am not sure why you keep bringing up your background; I
> have already stipulated that your CV is excellent. Mine is
> comparable. I could also note that, knowing what I do
> about bell curves, that I am probably taller than you, and
> can probably leg press more. Neither that, nor your
> experience level, is relevant to the discussion of how to
> manage data, and to suggest otherwise *is* an ad-hominem
> logical fallacy.

That is appeal to authority (ad verecundiam) not ad hominem.

I'm not trying to quibble. It's important that we understand the differences between the logical fallacies and how to properly recognize them.

  • Keith --