From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:12:05 +0200

On 2006-06-03 01:50:04 +0200, "topmind" <topmind_at_technologist.com> said:

> I've worked with code where the SQL was "encapsulated" in a seperate
> area. It was PAIN in the Arse.

I've worked with code where the SQL was embedded throughout. That's a pain in the ass too. The code constantly oscilates between three different languages. (SQL, Tables-rows, code).

One system I worked on completely melted down when the DB vendor went out of business. There was no way to find and replace all that SQL (though we tried for 6 months).

There are no easy aswers. Software is hard. Encapsulating SQL has it's costs and it's benefits. For large systems I think the benefits exceed the costs because of the flexibility, and testability that it affords. But I agree that layers of abstraction bring their own difficulties.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com