Re: Is SQL procedural or non-procedural?

From: J M Davitt <jdavitt_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:31:15 GMT

Kenneth Downs wrote:
> kumar.vaibhav.jain_at_gmail.com wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I am confused on this issue that wether SQL is procedural or non
>>procedural. What are your views on this issue?
>>

>>Thanks,
>>
>>VJ

> Most if not all actual SQL implementations out there provide a procedural
> language for writing routines on the server. The non-procedural DML
> commands SELECT and friends can be embedded into the routines.
>
> These languages have everything you would expect: IF..THEN/ELSE, DO WHILE
> and so forth.
>
> These procedural languages are what extends databases so far beyond the
> passive role they are restricted to otherwise.

Perhaps more clarification is needed.

I guessed that the OP meant the query and manipulation language: select, update, insert, and delete.

The procedural languages offered are (always?) given other names.

The situation gets fuzzy when considering model language (create table, create view) and myriad bits of control language and administration language: each SQL DMBS has a proprietary dialect of what they may call SQL which provides access to and control of various features -- but that isn't SQL. Received on Mon Jun 12 2006 - 12:31:15 CEST

Original text of this message