children

From: Nohup <nohup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 21:13:52 +0200

Hi,

In general, how do you handle that kind of information:

"A is a child of B", where A and B are entities of the same type.

Suppose I have a table "members of my club", do you add a column that contains the ID of the parent of the member? Or do you create a second table: a relationship table, with has only two columns: ID of the father, ID of the child.

(I like the second solution because I don't like NULLs, and in the first solution, most rows will have no value in that column)

*-*-*-*

Actually I want to create an "incident reporting" website on our corporate intranet. Operators or the helpdesk could create "events" on that site. If one operator reports a problem, and a second operator later on reports the same problem, I want to make this event a child of the first event. Then when I tick "problem solved", my program will assign the "solved" status to all children.

And by the way, do you know any open-source project that does that already? Received on Sat Jun 10 2006 - 21:13:52 CEST

Original text of this message