Re: Programming is the Engineering Discipline of the Science that is Mathematics

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Jun 2006 02:19:37 -0700

Erwin wrote:
> I think the choice of the term "mathematics" is too broad.
Agreed...mathematics is not a term on which you can put everything.
> I don't see how e.g. knowledge of trigonometry could be helpful in the
> engineering discipline of programming. Or knowledge of how to resolve
> a set of linear equations.
linear equations may be for instance helpful into finding more efficient ways of calculating index positions in RAM memory. Instead of doing having to scan all indexes linear equations can help compute the position as opposed to browse it.

Or knowledge of differentials and integrals. I do not know either, but I do not see any reason to deprive ourself from using them in the future to help making computing more efficient.

Not yet. but why not?

If Codd would not have thought of appying mathematical relations and set theory to computing the RM would not have been invented. It's true that all mathematics has not been applied and may not be applyable to computing but mathematics has already inspired and helped the formulation of computing models. Received on Thu Jun 08 2006 - 11:19:37 CEST

Original text of this message