Re: Operationalize orthogonality

From: J M Davitt <jdavitt_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 00:52:31 GMT

Pickie wrote:
> Booleans don't in themselves convey order. Marshall elsewhere in this
> thread said "The RM doesn't have anything about order as part of its
> definition; one defines order on top of it." and I don't think there
> was any controversy over that.
>
> Individual bits can represent booleans, but where is the concept of
> order coming from that turns a set of bits into a coded string of bits?
> If Marshall's statement quoted above is true, then it cannot come from
> relations, therefore Tony's contention that it is possible to "model
> everything from there on up in terms of relations and booleans" is
> untrue.
>
> So, to answer your question. Not only do I not see it, I do not
> acknowledge it is possible. Obviously there are systems that do it,
> but _not_ by building _solely_ on booleans and relations (even
> theoretically).

(Too bad you snipped so much... Wait: you snipped *everything!*)

Hmm... I'm not sure you responded to everything.

My follow-on was to have been, "How far do we have to go before you see the light at the end of the tunnel? A half-adder, perhaps?" No problem. "You want more?" Can do!

Some time ago - and for a different purpose - I put together an octal digit implementation with operations for most of the C-style arithmetic and bit-fiddling stuff.

But I'm done with this...

(So sad.) Received on Wed Jun 07 2006 - 02:52:31 CEST

Original text of this message