Re: Operationalize orthogonality

From: Pickie <keith.johnson_at_datacom.co.nz>
Date: 6 Jun 2006 17:14:42 -0700

Booleans don't in themselves convey order. Marshall elsewhere in this thread said "The RM doesn't have anything about order as part of its definition; one defines order on top of it." and I don't think there was any controversy over that.

Individual bits can represent booleans, but where is the concept of order coming from that turns a set of bits into a coded string of bits?  If Marshall's statement quoted above is true, then it cannot come from relations, therefore Tony's contention that it is possible to "model everything from there on up in terms of relations and booleans" is untrue.

So, to answer your question. Not only do I not see it, I do not acknowledge it is possible. Obviously there are systems that do it, but _not_ by building _solely_ on booleans and relations (even theoretically). Received on Tue Jun 06 2006 - 19:14:42 CDT