Re: (repost) cdt glossary 0.1.1

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 00:58:48 GMT

Anith Sen wrote:

> The following site has the *draft* definitions from 2382 vocabulary
>
> http://www.imprimaatur.ee/standard/01.htm ( fundamentals )
> ( Change 01.htm to 02.htm, 03.htm, ... )
> 17.htm should have the basic definitions of various levels of data
> representations
>
> You can find some related std docs at:
> http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/

Awesome Anith!

http://www.imprimaatur.ee/standard/17.htm does indeed have the vocabulary relevant to databases, and
http://www.imprimaatur.ee/standard/01.htm does indeed have the ***fundamental*** definitions.

Chapter 02 has at least a few important definitions. (Operator being a very important definition:
http://www.imprimaatur.ee/standard/02.htm#02.10.06)

Chapter 04 has some very important definitions. (http://www.imprimaatur.ee/standard/04.htm#04.09.04 and http://www.imprimaatur.ee/standard/04.htm#04.09.05)

Chapter 05 has some very basic terms that pop up from time to time but seldom cause confusion.

Chapter 06 has a lot of terminology for the physical level of discourse.

Chapter 07 has some terminology one sees a lot around here. (eg. http://www.imprimaatur.ee/standard/07.htm#07.01.21 and http://www.imprimaatur.ee/standard/07.htm#07.01.22)

Chapter 08 has some security and integrity related terminology.

Chapter 14 has some terminology related to important functions of a dbms.

Chapter 15 is full of very important terms that pop up here frequently. (eg. http://www.imprimaatur.ee/standard/15.htm#15.03.03 http://www.imprimaatur.ee/standard/15.htm#15.03.20 http://www.imprimaatur.ee/standard/15.htm#15.04.22)

Chapter 16 covers the one area where the term "information" seems at times to have a very precise (often quantifiable) definition somewhat at odds with the rest of information technology.

Chapter 18 has terminology at the physical level of discourse related to distribution.

Chapter 20 has terminology related to system development, project management etc.

Other chapters might hold special interest to particular people here, but I think the chapters above cover the most important terms. I might have missed one or two, though. Received on Tue Jun 06 2006 - 02:58:48 CEST

Original text of this message