Re: Programming is the Engineering Discipline of the Science that is Mathematics

From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: 5 Jun 2006 18:35:05 -0700

A most profound statement that bears on this is Shannon's 1959 comment:

"[The duality between source and channel coding] can be pursued further and is related to a duality between past and future and the notions of control and knowledge. Thus we may have knowledge of the past but cannot control it; we may control the future but have no knowledge of it."

Science employs control to pursue of knowledge. Engineering employs knowledge to pursue of control.