Re: Why result to insults instead of reasoned arguements? Was: The wisdom of the object mentors

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Jun 2006 21:01:07 -0700

Andrew McDonagh wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> >
> > I see. You're saying that people should be afraid to speak their
> > truth, because if they expose a charlatan, that person might sue.
>
> Not at all.
>
> But there's a huge difference between pointing out that they think
> someone's opinion on a subject is wrong AND using that as basis for
> attempted character assignation.
>

> > Do you think that is a good policy for society?
>
> No, abuse and insults are not good for society.

If I give you full rhetorical points for your effective use of answering a question I didn't ask to advance a point of your own, would you do me the honor of answering the question that I actually *did* ask?

Do you think that people being afraid to speak their truth for fear of lawsuits is a good policy for society?

http://www.chillingeffects.org/

Marshall Received on Mon Jun 05 2006 - 06:01:07 CEST

Original text of this message