Re: Possible bridges between OO programming proponents and relational model

From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: 4 Jun 2006 20:56:14 -0700

Cimode wrote :
> Bob Badour :
> > What are the two dimensions? Can you name them?
>
> For bidimensional RAM's, the 2 dimensions are RowAddress
> and ColumnAddress For tridimensional RAM's (64bit
> architectures) the 3 dimensions are Block Adress,
> RowAddress, ColumnAddress Does that make sense? It was
> written above.

Suppose we have a 16-bit architecture with 2^16 memory cells. How many dimensions is the memory?

Suppose we call the 16-bit tuple "address". Is the physical memory now 1-dimensional?

Without changing the physical architechure, suppose we mentally partition the 16 bits into two 8-bit tuples and call one "hi_reg" and the other "lo_reg". Is the physical memory now 2-dimensional or is it still 1-dimensional?

Suppose instead we give names to each of the 16 bits. Something like:

 0 : pinky    8 : box
 1 : bit      9 : crate
 2 : crumb   10 : pallet
 3 : chunk   11 : container
 4 : unit    12 : truck
 5 : finger  13 : train
 6 : bar     14 : house
 7 : pack    15 : big_dog

Is the physical memory now a 16-dimensional hyper-cube?

Since the physical memory is a physical object embedded in space-time, why isn't it always 3+1-dimensional? Or maybe 10-dimensional?

What point exactly are you trying to make Cimode? This seems much ado about nothing, to me. What am I missing?

  • Keith --