Re: Why result to insults instead of reasoned arguements? Was: The wisdom of the object mentors

From: Laurent Bossavit <laurent_at_dontspambossavit.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 23:15:52 +0200

Marshall,

> Ha ha. Note that we are not in meatspace now, but on usenet.

You're saying that as if they were separate universes.

We're professionals in the same field; it's possible we might bump into each other at a conference, for instance, or at a job interview. On that basis, I conduct my conversations with people here no differently than I would if we were scheduled to meet tomorrow IRL.

If anything, we should consider that stricter standards of conduct apply to Usenet. The details of a conversation IRL can be forgotten; insults hurled here are recorded for posterity.

Laurent Received on Sun Jun 04 2006 - 23:15:52 CEST

Original text of this message