From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Jun 2006 12:50:45 -0700

Phlip wrote:
> frebe73 wrote:
>
> > That is why we use common interfaces such as JDBC/ODBC/ADO.
>
> Those are wide generic library interfaces. Once we have them, we trivially
> encapsulate them again, into narrow application-specific interfaces. We take
> one more step towards programmer-friendliness because those wonderful
> libraries can't.

The thing is that every time you narrow the interface, you reduce the amount of the dbms's power that is available to the rest of the application, instead forcing the app into less well suited avenues, merely because they are pre-existing, or because they are convenient to the ORM layer.

The only way not to reduce it is to have the narrow interface expand each and every time the rest of the application has any additional need of data management services. In which case, what was the point of the narrow interface? It simply becomes a lot of extra boilerplate code, and doesn't change the abstration between the rest of the app and the dbms.

Granted, there are situations where one wants to take this second approach.

Marshall Received on Sun Jun 04 2006 - 14:50:45 CDT