Re: Microsoft's bridge between OO and relational

From: Alvin Ryder <alvin321_at_telstra.com>
Date: 3 Jun 2006 14:24:15 -0700

JXStern wrote:
> What do y'all think of this stuff?
>
> J.
>
> http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2006_04/magazine/features/rjennings/
>
> Test Drive VB9 and DLinq
> The January 2006 Language Integrated Query (LINQ) preview for the next
> ("Orcas") version of Visual Basic enables automating SQL Server
> object-relational mapping for DLinq and enhances XLinq syntax for
> literal XML and late binding.
> Roger Jennings
>
> March 27, 2006
>
> Technology Toolbox: VB.NET, SQL Server 2005, XML, Visual Studio 2005,
> or Visual Basic or Visual Web Developer Express editions, Visual Basic
> 9.0 LINQ Technology Preview (January 2006), SQL Server 2005 Express
> Edition or higher, Northwind sample database
>
> The forthcoming Visual Studio "Orcas" release promises major upgrades
> to data-management programming with Visual Basic 9.0 and C# 3.0.
>
> Language Integrated Query (LINQ) and its data (DLinq) and XML (XLinq)
> libraries transform relational data and XML documents into
> first-class, interoperable CLR objects

I'm not surprised. Both Microsoft and Sun like to provide all the APIs for their respective environments but years ago when Sun distanced itself from the object persistence racket products like Hibernate and TopLink filled the void. Developers began to leak out of Sun's camp, at least for that aspect of programming. Now with EJB 3 and Java Persistence API they are trying to win back that lost ground and I think MS are trying to avoid the same mistake. By providing their own object persistence glue they'll keep everything MS. More happy pills.

Mind you I think its good, C++ forced you to pursue your own APIs in just about every aspect so when you went for jobs they'd say "yeah yeah you have 12 years experience but have you used (3rd party) library "Xyz"? No, well erh, don't call use we'll call you ...

Cheers. Received on Sat Jun 03 2006 - 23:24:15 CEST

Original text of this message