Re: Possible bridges between OO programming proponents and relational model

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Jun 2006 14:17:47 -0700

<<I already elaborated. You simply omitted it from your excerpt. >> << I am not certain I agree with that last sentence. Of the dbmses that

have widely or deeply penetrated the market, SQL based systems are the best we have. There may or may not be better alternatives that are relatively unknown. >> I will take that as ellaboration. No disagreement here.

<< Since you removed all context of what I wrote, I no longer have any idea
 what we are discussing.>>
Sorry I am not used to exchange on NG. Do not have the habits and jargons ;) (Excuse the confusion it may have produced)

<<Which is irrelevant, as I already explained.>> I reread your explanation but I am still doubtful about its relevance to the point of this thread. The main point in this thread is to exchange information on a physical standpoint as mainly. You are placing yourself mainly on a logical standpoint on which I do not believe we have a real disagreement.

<<How can you know something when it is false? "As you well know, the sky
 beneath my feet is yellow." Did you know the sky is beneath my feet? Did
you know it was yellow? Is the sky beneath my feet yellow?>>I do not see an relevance in this analogy.

<< I think you will find collaboration here. But the collaborators are not
 in the habit of holding onto nonsensical statements.>> I hope so.

<< Since neither (1,2,3) nor (3,5,5) are points on a sphere of radius 5, I
 highly doubt that they will ever appear in any possible representation

 of the relvar.>>
I am not doing geometry. I reused your example to illustrate that if a specific SQL implementation *physical* representation of a relvar is bidimensional (because its body is only column/row represented) then it is clearly what defeats independence.

<<The infertile ground I referred to is OO not the newsgroup.>>OK. misunderstood.(apologies for that)

<< I never accused you of misusing "degree". You used "dimensions"  nonsensically.>>I used *dimensions* in a mathematical sense. That certainly does not make it nonsense.

<<You have not established that at all.>> This is not formal theory formulation. I am trying primarily to exchange through a difficult media/ Doing the best I can .(know that I have been educating myself on Relational concepts based on *translations* from DATE, PASCAL, DARWEN which does not make it easy to exchange with English speaking audiences). I do not understand how such simple concepts are so troublesome to you.

<<Why would I think a linear address space has more than one dimension?

Why do you keep making me say what I do not say. I have never said that. in memory are not one dimensional only.

<<Why would you think the linearity of the address space says anything  about the dimensionality of an SQL table?>> I have not said nor implied that. I am suggesting that the bidimensional (in a mathematical sense) aspect of a physical adressing scheme may be one of the cause for the lack of independence between logical and physical layer in current SQL DBMS.

Thank you for your insight.