From: Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.quelquechose_at_free.quelquepart.fr>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 21:16:19 +0200

Erwin a écrit :
(snip)

<troll-warning>
> Do you honestly believe that application code is a better place to
> check and enforce uniqueness of a key on a relation ?

FWIW, a RDBMS actually *is* an application, and enforcing constraints is what part of it's code does...
</troll-warning>

NB : of course, I know that's not what you meant - and I do share your POV that if one is to use a RDBMS, then not using it to enforce such constraints would be of utmost stupidity. Now such constraints are usually only part of the expected functionalities of an application, but this is another problem. Received on Sat Jun 03 2006 - 21:16:19 CEST

Original text of this message