From: Dmitry A. Kazakov <mailbox_at_dmitry-kazakov.de>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 11:22:54 +0200

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 14:22:01 -0700, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 21:43:13 +0200, Laurent Bossavit
> <laurent_at_dontspambossavit.com> wrote:
>

>>> Persistence is not a necessary feature for a dbms.
>>
>>So... When you turn off the computer on which a persistence-less DBMS
>>runs... what happens, exactly ?

> The power goes off.
>
> Whether this affects the medium that the persistence-less DBMS
> was stored on depends on whether the medium is volatile. For example,
> core memory is not volatile.

It is not so trivial. The belief is that there are some mystical data. They possibly require some management, but that's a different story. Now, the management is off. Where are the data?

What happens with the Moon when nobody looks at it? An urban legend tells that Einstein asked Bohr if he really believed that it would disappear. Bohr answered: show me an experiment, which would prove otherwise.

OO [behavioral] interpretation is that there is no data behind the management of. Once management is off, so the data.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov