From: J M Davitt <jdavitt_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 00:54:19 GMT

Sasa wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
>

>> There is a fundamental, foundational concept to grasp here,
>> that is easily obscured by the excessive verbiage. But
>> unless you get this foundational point, you won't be able
>> to follow the arguments of the c.d.t. people at all. So I'll
>> simply present it in isolation.
>>
>>   A DBMS is not "storage." A DBMS is a system that manages
>>   data, where "manages" describes a whole host of high level
>>   facilities.

> So can you list some short but specific keypoints - what are these
> facilities?

Among others: authorization, basic operators, catalogs, functions, integrity, manipulation, naming, protection, qualifiers, structure, types, distributed management, interfacing with other languages and systems... and a few more.

Each of these consists of between 10 to 30 specific features, all carefully specified so that, in the whole, the system can be relied upon to correctly store data.

Much more than a bucket of bits...

[snip] Received on Sat Jun 03 2006 - 02:54:19 CEST

Original text of this message