From: Andrew McDonagh <news_at_andmc.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 23:36:25 +0100

frebe73_at_gmail.com wrote:

>> It's not.  I want the application to be isolated from the DB; and I
>> want the DB isolated from the application.  I wan't the application
>> programmers to be able to change from Oracle to MySQL to Flat files.

> I think all here agree that in many cases, it is a good thing to be
> able to switch between Oracle and MySQL. And all also think that the
> all realizes that the best way to do this (if it is needed) is by using
> a generic interface such as a JDBC driver and the use of ANSI SQL. Not
> by writing custom interfaces for every application.
>
> But the big question that you repeatedly refuses to answer is why you
> possibly want to change from Oracle to flat files? Don't you think that
> a major design flaw is made if you start using Oracle and later
> discover that the same thing could have been by flat files? Using
> Oracle to emulate flat files is a little bit overkill. And emulating
> Oracle using flat files would be a little bit hard.
>
> Fredrik Bertilsson
> http://frebe.php0h.com

Maybe I'm missing something, but cant you see it was an example of 'change'.

Granted, not a particularly likely occurring example for software written for in house use where a certain DB vendor is already standard - its just an example.

Robert M could easily have said '...able to change from Oracle to MySql to a Wax Drum...'

The example is pointing out that Robert and Co's desire is to have an application design which is DBMS neutral - the DBMS can be a Relational one, a Hierarchical one or even a Quantum one built to use Wax Drums as the physical storage mechanism.

Can we forget the what the change is to - its not relevant for the discussion, its the desire to be able to change thats key.

Andrew Received on Sat Jun 03 2006 - 00:36:25 CEST

Original text of this message