From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Jun 2006 15:34:02 -0700

phlip wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> >>
> >> So... When you turn off the computer on which a persistence-less DBMS
> >> runs... what happens, exactly ?
> >
> > The same thing that happens to global variables when you
> > exit your C++ program.
>
> All the data tables in the database lose all their contents?

Yes, of course.

> (BTW "persistence" means the data stays there, guys...)

Yes, and "persistence-less" means they don't stay there.

I have said quite a number of times that a dbms is not a kind of persistence engine. So far only one person on this thread has shown any signs of having read and understood that I said that. Phlip, I note that your parenthetical remark above suggests that you think we all think that a dbms is about persistence.

Marshall Received on Fri Jun 02 2006 - 17:34:02 CDT