From: erk <eric.kaun_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Jun 2006 10:37:24 -0700

Tony D wrote:
> What hope for OO in following any similar path ?
> None, so far as I can see - even with "aspect oriented programming"
> looming into view.

Ugh. O-O will continue to incorporate functional and then relational concepts in hideous ways, resulting in a chimera with odious flatulence and astonishingly bad breath.

> I admit, it was embarrassing in the '90s to still admit that the
> majority of the world's code was in COBOL. But did we really have to
> try changing that ratio by generating mountains of boilerplate Java
> junk for even the simplest of applications ?

Especially boilerplate which takes dozens of lines to emulate the behavior of a single line of SQL (forgetting even about the possibility of a real relational language here).

Maybe some day we'll manage to replace the mountains of Java with molehills of real languages (and domain-specific languages implemented in real languages). But I won't hold my breath.