From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Jun 2006 07:51:08 -0700

Phlip wrote:
> Guys:
>
> Consider two projects, both with a DBA.
>
> Team A carefully partitions all modules, including the DB-facing ones.
>
> Team B scatters SQL hither and yon.
>
> Now in both teams, the DBA owns all access to the database, and is the only
> one authorized to change its schema.

Okay.

> Team A, however, can sack its DBA any time they feel like, and can easily
> replace the DB-facing modules with some other system.

False! You might switch Oracle and DB2, but you're not going to "easily" replace Postgres with read/write/seek unless you've completely failed to understand the value and proper use of a DBMS, and treated it as no better than a record store.

> Team B's DBA is the lord of all he surveys. He or she has perfect job
> security, and a lot of clout in the team's decisions.
>
> So what's the /real/ motivation for this thread, guys? ;-)

To the best of my knowledge, most of the c.d.t. guys arguing here are application programmers, not DBAs.

Marshall Received on Fri Jun 02 2006 - 16:51:08 CEST

Original text of this message