From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 00:43:58 -0500

On 2006-05-31 12:44:04 -0500, "Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> said:

> Wow, I missed that one completely. "Isolate the data management
> mechanism from the data model." How in tarnation is the data
> manager doing to manage the data if it is isolated from the
> data model?

It's called decoupling. Generally it's based on dynamic polymorphism which is a lot of syllables that really mean function pointers. The idea is that you write the application program in such a way that it can manipulate the data in the data model without coupling it directly to the DBMS, or the details of the schema. The decoupling mechanism is very similar to the mechanism used to create device independence in operating systems like Unix.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com