From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 22:06:05 GMT

[Quoted] Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

> Marshall a écrit :
>

>> Joe Van Dyk wrote:

>>> I don't know Java, but if your statement about Java disadvantages is
>>> true, that's a problem with Java -- not with OO.
>>
>> It is simple, if not particularly convenient, to use what are
>> essentially
>> first-order functions and function pointers in Java. However,
>> the fact that you have to fake it illustrates why OOP is merely
>> a useful point of view that works a lot of the time, as opposed
>> to a true foundationally complete approach to programming.

> Have mercy, stop confusing Java with OO. I do OO everyday, and could not
> live without HOFs.

[Quoted] Bruno, the fact that some OO has HOFs and some OO does not supports Marshall's observation. Adding a specific powerful feature to a language does not make it foundationally complete.

>> Don't get me wrong; I really like OOP and it's what I use
>> when I need to program. But don't mistake its usefulness
>> for profundity. OOP has some deep problems, and some
>> of its features, like encapsulation and inheritance, will be
>> sloughed off when better techinques become widely available.

> Dynamic typing + real support for automatic (yet controlable)
> delegation, and you don't need inheritance no more (still can use it -
> as an implementation detail - when it's convenient).

[Quoted] Are you agreeing with Marshall that encapsulation and inheritance are [Quoted] unecessary? Or are you suggesting that one should mistake whatever usefulness one finds in OO for profundity after all?

> wrt/ encapsulation, I'm afraid you're confusing it with data-hiding,
> which is not a necessary pain if you have support for computed attributes.
>
> What about ditching Java in favor of an OO language ?-)

[Quoted] What about ditching an ad-hoc computational model introduced for creating large unpredictable state machines out of small predictable state machines with predicate logic itself? Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 00:06:05 CEST

Original text of this message