From: Joe Van Dyk <joe.vandyk_at_boeing.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 02:52:19 GMT

Alfredo Novoa wrote:
> Robert Martin wrote:

<snip>

Question for the "the system's behavior needs to be in the dbms" people:

My current view of a dbms is that it's a place to store stuff. Obviously, it can be much more than that.

Say I'm writing an e-commerce website. I'm restricted to cheap and/or free databases, but feel free to assume that I'm not.

The credit card supplied with the order needs to be verified against an external encrypted web service. If the order goes through, then it needs to notify another web service that fulfills the order. Once UPS ships, I need to get that information from UPS. If all the rules for the sytem are in the dmbs, can the dbms do all that external stuff? Perhaps through stored procs?

If so, is anyone aware of any open source web applications that do have all the rules for the system in the database?

And to you same people, do you think there's room for "application databases", where applications (who may or may not use databases for storing information) talk to each other through well-defined interfaces?

Thanks,
Joe Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 21:52:19 CDT