From: Christian Brunschen <cb_at_festis.df.lth.se>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 19:42:47 +0000 (UTC)

In article <ngHfg.80$_F6.20_at_trndny03>, David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net> wrote:

>I think that in common parlance, trivial means "unimportant" and not
>"easy".

From the dictionary included with Mac OS X:

<quote>

Dictionary

trivial adjective of little value or importance : huge fines were imposed for trivial offenses | trivial details. ? (of a person) concerned only with trifling or unimportant things. ? Mathematics denoting a subgroup that either contains only the identity element or is identical with the given group. DERIVATIVES triviality noun ( pl. -ties) trivially adverb ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense [belonging to the trivium] ): from medieval Latin trivialis, from Latin trivium (see trivium ).

Thesaurus

trivial adjective 1 trivial problems unimportant, banal, trite, commonplace, insignificant, inconsequential, minor, of no account, of no consequence, of no importance; incidental, inessential, nonessential, petty, trifling, trumpery, pettifogging, footling, small, slight, little, inconsiderable, negligible, paltry, nugatory; informal piddling, picayune, nickel-and-dime, penny-ante; trademark Mickey Mouse. antonym important, significant, life-and-death. 2 I used to be quite a trivial person frivolous, superficial, shallow, unthinking, airheaded, featherbrained, lightweight, foolish, silly, trite. antonym profound, serious.

</quote>

So, yes, you're right, my use of 'trivial' in that context was incorrect. I learn something new every day.

// Christian Brunschen Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 21:42:47 CEST

Original text of this message