From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 10:34:26 GMT

"Bruno Desthuilliers" <bdesth.quelquechose_at_free.quelquepart.fr> wrote in message news:447cd16c$0$24912$626a54ce_at_news.free.fr...
> Alfredo Novoa a écrit :
> > Robert Martin wrote:
> >
> (snip)

> Alfredo, in case you wouldn't know this, there are a lot of applications
> that have *nothing* to do with a RDBMS.
>

> > If the mentors are like this, I don't want to imagine the rest.
> >
> The "rest" just do it's job: writing applications - with a RDBMS when
> it's the right tool, without when it's not. Thank you, and good night.

PMFJI. I am sure that Alfredo knows that there are a large number of applications that have nothing to do with an RDMS. I'm sure I do. I can't speak to comp.object. Over here in comp.databases.theory we tend to put more focus on applications that do interact with a database, because databases are our subject matter.

I have to disagree with your summary, at least as it has played out in practice.

There are a vast number of applications out there that should not have used an RDBMS, but did. (As in, "all the smart people are using Oracle, so let's use Oracle") (That raises a discussion that has been beaten to death multiple times in c.d.t., namely, that Oracle RDBMS is not an RDBMS.)

There are even a half vast number of applications that should have used a DBMS to manage the persistent and shareable data, but instead used some kind of dressed up file system, and provide external access to data only through some gawd awful and very obscure API.

To the extent that application data architects use an RDBMS when apropriate, and not use it when it's not the right tool, hurrah! But I think we should all recognize the high incidence of unfortunate decisions in this regard. Received on Wed May 31 2006 - 12:34:26 CEST

Original text of this message