Re: Why all the max length constraints?

From: Tony Andrews <andrewst_at_onetel.com>
Date: 31 May 2006 02:34:28 -0700

David Cressey wrote:
> Excuse me, but I've never used the CLOB data type, so my memory of it is
> limited. Isn't there some kind of limitation on CLOBs such that you can't
> use them in the "where" clause, or something like that? If that's the
> case, isn't it fair to treat CLOB as a "non relational Oracle extension"?

There certainly are restrictions - e.g. you can't use a CLOB column in the primary key. You can use them in the WHERE clause though. I was wrong to suggest that you could actually use a CLOB wherever you would normally have a VARCHAR. I have only very rarely used the CLOB type myself, so tend to be hazy on its restrictions until I actually look them up.

> Also, wasn't Dawn's OP about whether there is anything about the RM that
> would lead implementors to impose such a restriction? That's slightly
> different from asking whether there is something about SQL that would lead
> to the same thing.

Yes, but in the text you quoted here I was responding to Dawn's latest post (which you also quoted) which *was* specifically about SQL. Received on Wed May 31 2006 - 11:34:28 CEST

Original text of this message