From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 May 2006 15:11:05 -0700

Andrew McDonagh wrote:

> no - Data is (at least I hope) wildly known as being raw, Information is
> that Data interpreted in a meaningful way.

As far as it being widely known, I would not agree. The two words are virtually synonymous in common usage.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=information   information: "A collection of ... data"

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=data   data: "factual information"

That there are communities out there who use the two words in such a way as to have different connotations, I am aware. I do not see that they gain anything by doing so, and I do see how they lose, in that they then assume everyone else will have the same connotations.

In any event, David's point was clearly about "information" according to your definitions, so the introduction of the data/information split was superfluous.

> Do you need an example?

No, but thank you.

Marshall Received on Wed May 31 2006 - 00:11:05 CEST

Original text of this message