Re: Bye

From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: 30 May 2006 15:03:55 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> > Bob Badour wrote:
> > > What happens in a moderated newsgroup is the
> > > knowledgeable people either stay away, as they mostly
> > > do here already, or they get blocked for pointing out
> > > how stupid and ignorant some of the posters are.
> >
> > I can believe that's possible, but it's certainly not
> > the only possibility. I have seen moderation work quite
> > well.
>
> How do you know what quality of material was excluded? How
> do you know what quality of people stayed away?

Hehe, yeah good point, pithy. One example I was considering was the pair:

  comp.lang.c++
  comp.lang.c++.moderated

Now I haven't frequented these in a while; but, I recall the .moderated having superior signal-to-noise compared to the unmoderated version. And it did /appear/ that the moderators rejected much trollish drivel. However that is only based on comparison to the unmoderated group and, as you point out, that is not sufficient evidence.

  • Keith --