Re: Bye

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 14:07:47 GMT

Keith H Duggar wrote:

> Marshall wrote:
>

>>I have on occasion imagined that we could split the group,
>>and have comp.databases.theory.polite and
>>comp.database.theory.rude. Ha ha! Of course, the rude
>>people would get big laughs out of behaving rudely in the
>>polite group, and laugh endlessly about our inability to
>>keep them out. Again, the lack of sanctions is key. In a
>>very real sense, *all* newsgroups end in ".polite" and all
>>the rude people ignore that fact.  Contempt for the
>>standards of civil behaviour is the very definition of
>>rudeness.
>>
>>What if we did have sanctions? What if we could set some
>>standards, publish them, and exclude people who didn't
>>meet the standards? What standards would we set? How would
>>we decide what is allowed?  Trying to actually come up
>>with a set of rules that would work made me realize just
>>how problematic this is.

> Marshall, this concept is nothing new. It's called
> "moderation". (I don't mean the bs "automatic" moderation
> that some groups have.) And if you have a group of competent
> thorough moderators that enforce the rules then moderation
> can work very well. No sanctions are involved other than
> your post not getting posted. Only trouble is, it takes a
> lot of work and it's often hard to find and maintain a group
> of moderators large enough to handle the traffic while still
> keeping quality high. And of course the postings are
> delayed.
>
> Anyhow, comp.database.theory.moderated is one solution and
> it's not a new concept.
>
> -- Keith --
>
> PS. mAsterdam, I didn't quite understand who/what offended
> you since you quoted both BB and I. If I offended you it was
> unintentional. I was only trying to emphasize the importance
> of willingness as opposed to actual acceptance.

Moderation would only work if the moderators stopped the idiotic drivel from the likes of the Celkos and Wolthuises. That's never going to happen.

What happens in a moderated newsgroup is the knowledgeable people either stay away, as they mostly do here already, or they get blocked for pointing out how stupid and ignorant some of the posters are. Received on Tue May 30 2006 - 16:07:47 CEST

Original text of this message