Re: Why all the max length constraints?

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 11:30:20 GMT

"dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1148933127.734019.296990_at_i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

> Only deep enough to know what, if anything, encourages those who
> develop DBMS implementations based on the RM (however flawed...) to
> encourage those using the tool to put in such max length constraints,
> if it is the case that they do encourage such. My experience to date
> has been that such are required (except for things like blogs and clobs
> which are not the way one would implement a lastName, for example).

How do you know the engineers actually do this? How do you know that there aren't thousands of engineers out there who have gone the other way, and have produced products that you have never seen nor heard of? And that these products do not impose max lengths on CHAR types?

> But there still might be something in the requirements for an
> implementation of the RM that prompts a design that encourages
> developers to specify max length constraints. That is what I'm trying
> to figure out. Thanks for sticking to the topic. --dawn

Only if the consensus of opinion in c.d.t. is misguided or misinformed. Is that what you are trying to figure out? Received on Tue May 30 2006 - 13:30:20 CEST

Original text of this message