From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 10:54:52 GMT

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_novoa_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1148940908.338233.159400_at_j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> >No, a DBMS is a bucket of bits with some low level rules to manage
> >those bits. An OO application provides the beavior that the customer
> >wants to see. We can completely eliminate the DBMS and replace it with
> >another of an entirely different form (non Relational for example) and
> >still have all the business behavior we need.
>
> >The people who sell databases have sold you, and the industry, a
> >misconception: that the database is the heart of the system. This is
> >flawed. The heart of the system is the application code. The database
> >is a detail to be decided at the last possible moment and kept in a
> >position so flexible that it can be swapped out for another at a whim.

I disagree completely with the above, which seems to have been written by Robert Martin.

The heart of the system is the data.

For 20 years, I believed that the heart of the system was the application code. I wrote application code. That's why I believed it. But I've seen enough to convince me otherwise in the last 17 years.

Not that I didn't say: "the database". What if we change database vendors? Been there, done that.
What if we rewrite almost all the application code? Been there, done that.

What if we destroy all the data up to this point? Time to update your resume, everybody! Received on Tue May 30 2006 - 12:54:52 CEST

Original text of this message